Jamal bust: «THE TRUE ADAM»



Model: "Jamal"
Company: Fer miniatures (Forged Monkey)
Scale: 1/16
Sculpture: Raffaele Picca

"Story behind the scene": I was looking for a bust, my first one as a painter. I did not know if I could do it well, so I decided not to spend a lot of money. Fer Miniatures own some cheap but beautiful busts on their web, so I chosed one.

"Jamal" is the comercial name of this bust, representing a "bad guy". What I imagined at the begining was quite different: some years ago I read a scientific paper called: "The true Adam". DNA analysis showed that our common ancestor was in fact black. So I used that idea as an inspiring one.

I decided to practice black skin tones. By surfing on the internet and taking some photos I realized that there are many kinds of black skin, that define general tones, but also lights (from white or pink, to blue or grey). I chosed the more orange-pinky kind, due to our ancestor should be a mixture between different races.


First of all, I added some lights and shadows, choosing a non zenital lighting this time. I find specially interesting the figures with lateral contrast. This exercise help a lot to define details, but also to enjoy the painting process (I confess, I am a Massive Voodoo and "Happy painting" fan).





Defining some muscles on the neck, looking for more realism...
Wet blending and testing tones, without hiding muscles.




Adding details little by little...Hope you like the final result:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurgle fly + 40k Chaos chosen: «NURGLED»

STARDRAKE: "THE DEMON SLAYER»

MV CHALLENGE 2018 "Would you be my friend?"